Competition for places at selective entry schools such as Melbourne High School, Mac. Robertson Girl’s High School, Nossal High School and Suzanne Cory High School, and into those offering Select Entry Accelerated Learning (SEAL) programs has never been more fierce. One of the most attractive draw cards of these schools is their consistently high VCE and NAPLAN results.
At Strive for Excellence we have extensive experience in preparing students for scholarship exams and a proven track record in our students gaining entry into their chosen school. Strive for Excellence’s Scholarship Preparation course provide your child with:
Free Assessment Test
Before a student starts our Selective School / Scholarship Preparation Program, we offer a free assessment test. The test will take your child 1.5 hours to complete 4 components. We will then sit down with you and go through the results offering you personalised feedback and advice.
Handpicked by our registered teacher, Strive for Excellence’s owner has a strong interest in teaching gifted students and has been involved in the SEAL program for many years. Our tutors received outstanding VCE results, demonstrating their in depth knowledge on all facets of their subjects. Our tutors are current students at distinguished universities, undertaking courses ranging from Medicine and Pharmacy, to Law and Education.
Selective Entry / Scholarship Preparation
A course that is tailored to the individual needs of each student. Students are taught on a one-on-one basis, ensuring their questions are answered immediately, and are able to work at their own pace.
Tuition in all the study areas that will be tested on the exam, including:
- Mathematics: involves understanding mathematical concepts that are taught at least one year ahead of the current school level. Our excellent Maths tutors ensure that students are at this level with their maths abilities.
- English: involves reading a passage and answering questions about it. Our highly skilled English tutors prepare students on how to approach this section, including examining various styles of writing, and consider purpose and tone.
- Essay Writing: Our experienced English tutors prepare students for all three of the different types of essays that students may be required to write. Our tutors discuss with students at length the criteria that all essays will be marked on.
- Verbal Reasoning: This tests students’ knowledge of words and the rules surrounding the use of these words. Our English tutors coach students in all aspects of verbal reasoning.
- Numerical Reasoning: These questions centre on students’ ability to reason with numbers. Our Maths tutors ensure that not only do students have a high level of maths skills, but also the ability to see patterns and think logically.
- Science: Science tuition is also included if the student is preparing for the John Monash Science School or Elizabeth Blackburn School of Science.
Essential for providing students with exam experience, confidence, practice in time management, familiarity with the types of questions that will be asked, and for pinpointing areas of improvement.
Understanding of key concepts for each component of the exam, rather than simply presenting them with a brief overview.
Which must be completed each week in order for students to consolidate their understanding of key concepts. Our tutors correct all homework and address areas of weakness.
Guidance for Parents
Guidance on all facets of the entire selective entry/scholarship process, from how to help their child to study effectively, to preparing them emotionally for the exam. We can also assist with the application letter and interview.
Our Scholarship Preparation course is compatible with ACER, EduTest and AAS test structures, the main test organisers.
Our Selective Entry/Scholarship Preparation course has assisted many students over the years in gaining places at highly desired schools where they have gone on to achieve outstanding VCE results. If you would like more information or to book an Assessment Test, please contact us.