Melbourne Tutoring Service for Primary and Secondary students
Strive for Excellence Tutoring is a leading Primary and Secondary school tutoring service conveniently located in Knoxfield in the South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. We specialise in traditional face-to-face tutoring at our tuition centre in Knoxfield, as well as online practice exams.
We prepare students for Selective Entry and Scholarship Exams as well as general school tuition for students across a range of subjects. These include: Maths, English, English Language, Science, Physics, Chemistry, History, Biology, Psychology, Business Management, Economics plus many more.
All of our tutors hold a current ‘Working with Children Check’ and are highly experienced in their specialty fields. We pride ourselves on a proven track record in our students achieving outstanding results. Our service is price competitive and flexible with no lock-in contracts.
Online Practice Exams
We have a extensive range of Selective Entry, Scholarship, PSO and Police Practice tests available for purchase & instant access on our website. All of our practice exams are designed by our qualified VCE teacher, include fully worked answers & students can easily upload their English essays for correction & feedback by our tutors.
Our range of practice exams include:
- John Monash Science School Practice exams - Our John Monash Science School practice exams have been specifically designed for this test. They include maths, science reasoning, numerical reasoning, science communication and science writing. The writing task can be uploaded for correction and feedback from our tutors
- Grade 5 and 6 Selective Entry / Scholarship Practice Exams - Written specifically for grade 5 and 6 entry, our practice exams will give your child much needed exam experience to increase their chances for selection. Our practice exams are specifically designed for Edutest, Acer and Robert Allwell test formats. The writing tasks can be uploaded for correction by our experienced markers.
- Year 7 Selective Entry / Scholarship Practice Exams - Our year 7 selective entry / scholarship practice exams are designed to give your child the necessary exposure to the format, number of questions, time limits and much more of the real test.
- Year 9 & 10 Selective Entry / Scholarship Practice Exams - Advanced practice exams written for year 9 & 10 entry. Practice exams are perfect for Edutest, Acer and Academic Assessment Services (formerly Robert Allwell & Associates) based exams. Includes maths, english comprehension, numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning, analytical and creative essay topics. Essays can be uploaded for critique and feedback by our tutors.
- NSW Opportunity Class Placement Practice Exams - NSW primary schools offer a limited number of opportunity class placements each year. As competition for these positions is quite high, give your child the advantage over other students to be chosen.
- NSW Selective Entry Practice Exams - Specifically designed by our registered teachers, our NSW Selective Entry practice exams are the best preparation available for your child for year 7 entry. We have made the practice exams as realistic as possible by having the same components, time limits, number of questions, difficulty of questions, and more. Our expert English markers will give you personalised feedback for uploaded essay tasks - a service no other organisation provides.
- HAST Practice Exams - Our Practice HAST exams are essential practice for students who will be doing a HAST exam for schools in Australia, Hong Kong and Singapore. As reasoning is a major part of the HAST exams (and reasoning isn't taught in schools) this is where our practice exams can give your child the advantage over other competing students. Our HAST practice exams come with 3 full length practice tests, fully worked answers and essays can be uploaded and corrected by our experienced markers.
- ASET Practice Exams - Our Practice ASET exams have been specifically designed by our teachers to give your child the most realistic exam experience possible. Selective entry schools in Western Australia such as the Perth Modern School, use the ASET test to accept a limited number of students for their year 7 intake. Our practice tests simulate the real test by having the same components, number of questions, difficulty of questions and more. Your child can also upload their essays in response to our prompts and our markers will correct and give feedback for areas of improvement.
- VIC Police Practice Tests - We have designed our Victoria Police practice tests to give candidates the edge over other candidates. We do this by making our Police tests as close as possible to the real exams in areas such as components, time limits, number of questions, difficulty of questions, etc. The writing tasks and oral assessments can be uploaded for personalised feedback by our experienced markers.
- VIC PSO Practice Tests - Our Protective Services Officer (PSO) practice tests have been specifically designed so you can perform at your best on the day of the real exam. The practice exams have been designed to be as close as possible to the real exam in terms of test components, number of questions, time limits, pass-marks and complexity of questions. Our experienced markers give personalised feedback to your uploaded writing and oral tasks.
- Police Custody Officer (PCO) Practice Tests - Our Police Custody Officer (PSO) practice tests are the most realistic practice exams available. The PCO practice exams will allow you to become familiar with the test in terms of test components, number of questions, time limits and complexity of questions. The PCO practice exams come with fully worked answers.
- NSW Police Practice Exams - Our new NSW Police practice exams have been designed to give you the most realistic exam experience possible. The new 2016 ACER based NSW Police entrance exam was introduced at the start of the year and introduces computer bases assessment with new components. You receive 3 full length practice exams with fully worked answers. Our markers will correct and give feedback to the Summary and Extended writing tasks.
- Nursing Practice Exams - The Nursing practice exams are designed for candidates who will be taking the exam to enter into a Diploma of Nursing. To give you the most realistic preparation possible our Nursing practice exams have the same exam components, number of questions, time limits and question difficulty. You get access to 3 full length exams, worked solutions and our markers give you feedback for your uploaded writing tasks.
Selective Entry / Scholarship Exam Preparation & Courses
- Our Selective Entry / Scholarship Preparation Course has been developed by experienced teachers who have extensive training in teaching gifted students. It is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to confidently undertake the entrance examinations for select entry schools such as Melbourne High, Mac.Rob, John Monash Science School, Nossal and Corey High. This course is also invaluable for those students seeking admission into the accelerated or high achieving educational programs on offer at a range of schools. Our Scholarship Preparation Course is compatible with EduTest, Acer and Robert Allwell test structures and includes our Free Assessment Test on commencement. The test allows tutors to gain an understanding of a students' strengths and weaknesses as they embark on the preparation course, and therefore accurately tailor the course for them. Dates for Select Entry and Scholarship Exams are listed here.
- Essay Writing for Scholarship and Selective School Exams - Your child will learn all aspects of essay writing with our comprehensive online course including essay planning, structure, settings, dialogue, contention, and more. For students applying for the John Monash Science School, we have included a comprehensive science writing module. After completing the course, your child can put their new skills to the test and upload up to 10 essays written from our prompts. Our markers will correct and give personal constructive feedback to you.
- Verbal Reasoning Course - Designed by our teacher, the Verbal Reasoning course is designed to give you an indepth understanding of verbal reasoning so you can perform better in selective entry, scholarship and vocational tests such as the Victoria Police entrance exam. At the end of each section, a practice test will give you the opportunity to test your skills.
- Science Reasoning Course - Our Science Reasoning course has been designed by our teachers to specifically teach students a wide spectrum of Science Reasoning. The course is perfect for students who will be taking the entrance exam for the John Monash Science School or Elizabeth Blackburn School of Science. Our course is perfect for students who have not had much experience with science and advanced students who wish to refine their established skills.
- English Comprehension Course - English Comprehension is a component that is found in most selective entry, scholarship and SEAL tests. Written by our teachers, our English Comprehension course is designed to give students an in depth understanding. Courses are available for Year 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10 entry.
- Abstract Reasoning Course - Our Abstract Reasoning course has been designed by our teachers for people who will sitting exams that have abstract reasoning as a component. With its comprehensive lessons, examples and quizzes, it is designed to give you the knowledge and ability over the other competing candidates. This course is perfect for people sitting exams for the Victoria Police, Protective Services Officer, Metropolitan Fire Brigade, managerial positions, and many more.
Primary / Secondary / VCE Tutoring
At Strive for Excellence Tutoring, our primary and secondary tutoring is second to none. Our dedicated tutors have many years' experience in providing customised tutoring sessions and in supporting students to reach their optimum potential at school. Our tutors provide work programs, ongoing assessment and homework that caters to students' specific needs and is aligned with the current school curriculum. At our tutoring centre, students can access a vast array of resources to support their learning and improve their grades. Computers with internet access are available for research, as well as books and a range of VCE practice exams. Parents are able to meet with their child's tutor at the end of each session in order to gain feedback on their child's progress and ask any questions they may have.
The Complete Guide to Selective Schools & Scholarships, provides parents with a comprehensive insight into the process of the Selective Entry and Scholarship processes. Includes sample student folio, sample interview questions, sample application letter, understanding the 5% rule, and more. The book can be immediately downloaded in pdf format after purchase.
Have a question or would like to make a booking? Simply contact us on (03)9759-5940
Why people choose Strive for Excellence Tutoring
- Customised individual tutoring at competitive prices
- Long established organisation with proven track record
- Selective Entry / Scholarship Preparation course that has been written by experienced teachers with specific training in gifted education
- Experienced tutors who are highly knowledgeable in their fields and dedicated to helping students achieving their best
- Extensive array of resources available to students
- Competitive prices without lock-in contracts. Payment is simply made at the end of each session